Sushi Rolls

How To Make Sushi Rolls



Hi guys!! For todays recipe I'll be showing you hot to make sushi rolls. Sushi is a traditional Japanese dish made with dried seaweed and cooked rice rolled with your selections of fillings.





My daughter's favourite dish is sushi. Recently she's been bugging me almost every day to make sushi. At first this task was quite daunting to me. I had seen the chefs at the Japanese restaurants make sushi when we went out for dinner . It seemed so complicated and precise. How was I supposed to replicate that? So I did a little research and to my immense relief .. you dont need much to make sushi. Sure you need a few essentials like a bamboo mat and seaweed but the fillings are customisable leaving you with an endless array of options. It's also a great activity to do with your kids!

Since it's the quarantine period I was a little worried on where I was going to get my ingredients. Lucky for me almost everything I needed was available online. So my daughter and I spent the day learning how to make sushi rolls.  In the end they turned out amazing. I served my sushi rolls with soya sauce and japanese mayonnaise. My family even said it tasted excactly like store bought sushi. Here is the recipe and how I made it!


Ingredients:

Sushi Rice:

•1 cup japanese short grained rice

Sushi Rice(Seasoning)

•1 tbsp sugar

•1 tsp salt

•1 tsp rice vinegar

Filling

•to your preference

Additional

•seaweed

•bamboo mat







Cook the rice with 2 cups of water in the rice pot. Once cooked combine the seasonings and pour over the rice. Fluff up with a fork and leave to cool for around 20 minutes or more. In the meanwhile. Prep your fillings.


 
 
These are the fillings that I have chosen to add into my sushi roll. This part is customisable to your liking.






For those of you who do not know this is what the bamboo mat looks like. I found mine in Daiso but I'm pretty sure some packs of seaweed come with it too.





Place the seaweed on a bamboo mat and cover the seaweed with a layer of the prepared sushi rice. Smoothe it gently and leave a 1 inch gap at the top.
[Tip:wet your fingers so the rice doesnt stick]




Then layer your choice of fillings on the rice. Here I've chosen Japanese cucumber slices, chicken strips and crab sticks.
[Tip: place the hardest ingredient on the outside(in my case the cucumber) so it doesnt get smashed when you roll]






Roll the sushi forward and press tightly.  Dont be afraid to apply pressure. 




Roll the bamboo mat off and continue rolling with you fingers.




Once you've rolled the sushi tightly, use a sharp knife to slice the sushi into bite sized pieces and it's ready to be served.

[Tip:Wet your knife slightly to slice the sushi easier)

Make sure to follow my instagram @_casualcook_ for more inspiration and recipes. Until next time!




 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Basque Burnt Cheese Cake

Chicken Tikka Butter Masala