Crab curry



CRAB CURRY



When I was growing up, one of my favourite meals that my mom used to make was crab curry. The sweetness of the crab when contrasted with the gentle spice of the curry makes it absolutely divine. Coconut milk is used in this curry. It is cooked with the crab to the point where the coconut milk splits and the oil seperates from the milk. My mom would usually serve it with home made naan to soak up all of that goodness. 


One of my fondest memories is bonding with my parents and sister as we ate this dish so I wanted to recreate this for my family as well . I wanted to give them the wonderful memories that I had growing up. It's probably no surprise that my kids love this dish too! This recipe is an updated version of my mom's and I hope you enjoy it as well!

 

INGREDIENTS:

•2 kg blue sea crab
•1 cinammon stick
•4 cloves
•2 star anise
•4 cardamon
•1 daun pandan
•4 stalks curry leaf
•12 shallots
•1 big onion
•4 cloves of garlic(pound)
•2 inch ginger(pound)
•1 tbsp roasted fennel seed(pounded)
•1 tsp roasted black pepper corn(pounded)
•1/2 cup coconut milk
•1 medium sized brinjal(cut small)
•1 tomato medium size(chopped)
•3 tbsp meat curry powder
•1/4 tsp sugar
•1 tbsp tamarind juice
•2 slit green chilli
•1 tbsp chilli powder( heat level can be adjusted to your taste)
•salt to taste


METHOD

1. Clean crab and cut into half. Drain and set aside.



2. Soak a small lump of tamarind in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Mash the tamarind with your fingers to mix it well. Strain through a sieve to extract all the pulp. Set the pulp aside.

3. Heat a large pot over medium heat, add oil. Add cinammon stick, star anise, cardomom, cloves. Saute until aromatic.



4. Add shallots,onion, ginger garlic paste, pandan leaves , curry leaves and green chilli. Saute until onion is slightly brown.


4. Add chopped tomatoes and brinjal. Soft cook.


5. Mix curry powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, pounded fennel and black pepper corn with water and make a thick paste.



6. Add into the pot. Stir frequently to make sure the masala doesn't burn.



7. Add crab and mix to coat. Cook for 5 minutes.



8. Add water, coconut milk,tamarind juice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. (If you want less gravy add less liquid)



9. Lower the heat and bring it to a simmer with the lid closed for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

10. Serve with steamed rice or Indian breads




Don't
 forgot to follow my Instagram
@_casualcook_
For more inspiration and recipes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basque Burnt Cheese Cake

Chicken Tikka Butter Masala

Sushi Rolls